Executive Director – Job Description
Menucha’s mission is enriching lives through hospitality, learning, reflection, and renewal. We encourage and support purposeful work in this sacred space so that those who come here will return to their own communities rejuvenated and better able to serve their fellow human beings.
The Executive Director provides overall creative vision and empowering leadership for physical and fiscal operations, promotion/marketing, fundraising, and staff.
They provide oversight and leadership for the creation, development, and on-going implementation and effectiveness of all programs and activities.
The Executive Director guides Menucha’s board and staff with strong interpersonal skills while setting a positive example for others to follow.
They are responsible for the continued development and improvement of the facility and its mission, and for implementing the vision and direction put in place by the Board of Directors.
All functions and activities are performed within the mission of Menucha and the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
Ensuring the culture of a faith-based facility is nurtured and maintained through excellent communication, building relationships, and bringing people together to work toward a common goal.
Developing and implementing a strategic plan by overseeing the general operations and financial management of the facility:
- Supporting and managing departments.
- Addressing issues in ordinary and extraordinary circumstances.
- Creative and effective in problem solving.
- Interpreting Menucha’s mission and culture in answering day-to-day questions regarding guests, programs, and staff.
- Maintaining, reviewing, and developing operational policies for the administration, facilities, guests, and programs.
- Enhancing the visibility of Menucha through marketing, planning, communications, and outreach.
Giving support and encouragement to the ongoing growth and development of staff:
- Building a team that is diverse and productive.
- Providing direct supervision for office staff and department heads.
- Developing a cohesive team working in an atmosphere of trust, transparency and grounded in Christian values.
- Providing consistent and supported direction with staff.
- Working with department heads to ensure smooth running of the facility.
- Ensuring resources are available for department heads to meet responsibilities and fulfill expectations.
- Coordinate communication, evaluation, training, and coaching of staff to reach their full potential.
- Maintaining, reviewing, and developing human resource policies for the facility and staff. Exercise responsibility for day-to-day general expectations and conduct and connect with the Board in establishing over-arching human resource policies.
Continue Menucha’s growth and development by:
- Keeping the facility current in terms of technology and retreat/conference culture.
- Stewarding Menucha’s future development by collaborating with the Board of Directors.
- Assisting in Board recruitment.
- Working with the staff and Board to promote fundraising for Menucha in coordination with development staff.
- Working with department heads to stay within budget.
Excellent candidates for this position will:
- Possess extensive experience and expertise in conference center management. Be familiar with all aspects of retreat and conference operations including facilities, food service, administration, and all related functions.
- Have a deep understanding of the Christian faith and be able to work in close connection with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
- Provide constructive and optimistic leadership, nurture staff, communicate well and frequently.
- Be ambitious for Menucha.
- Be passionate about hosting and hospitality, understand the valuable community building experience that time at Menucha enables, and make people feel welcome during their stay.
- Have strong financial skills, understanding budget and financial statements, guiding spending in line with mission priorities, and recognizing and responding to trends.
- Be an effective fundraiser.
- Guide the coordinated operation of Menucha. Be able to prioritize work of the present and to plan effectively for the future.
- Have a high level of personal integrity to lead by example. Our Executive Director will “walk the talk.”