Fourth Annual Ukulele Band Camp
Spring Break March 24-28, 2014 Register NOW!
Artistic Director: Marianne Brogan
What It’s All About: Welcome to four nights and three days of intense fun, ukulele instruction, and merry music making within the structure of a band, led by some of the ukulele world’s finest band masters. Register to study in bands for three days, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Each morning begins with a short singing session to warm up our voices and a third session is offered each day in extra-curricular musical skills – acoustic bass, cello, singing, accordion, improvising, clawhammer technique, etc. There will also be time to enjoy the beautiful surroundings of Menucha, and get to know your fellow students in evening entertainment, jam sessions and open mic. Band Camp is truly a unique and wonderful experience, and registrations are limited to help provide an intimate and in depth educational experience. It’s also a lot of fun.
Our goal is to provide you with exciting challenges by learning to be in a band, play together and take risks. This can happen more easily if you have a solid foundation.
Prerequisites: Band Camp is appropriate for advanced beginner, intermediate and advanced players. If you are an experienced musician coming from a strong background on another fretted instrument, but have no experience on ukulele you may feel right at home after a few queasy moments. If you come to camp with no musical background and a month of playing ukulele – you may feel queasy the entire time.
In general all campers that can change open chords without hesitation with a steady rhythm will flourish. The chords are a common chord progression in the key of C, F & G. Specifically: C, Am, F, G7; F, Dm, Bb, C7; G, Em, C, D7. Intermediate and advanced students should be familiar with some inversions of these chords.
Please note: Band camp is an acoustic environment. Please check the FAQ page for notes on bringing other instruments to camp.
If you have any questions about whether this is the camp for you, please contact the creative director, Marianne Brogan at 503-679-0391 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
-Marianne Brogan, Ukulele Band Camp Artistic Director
Specific Information about 2014 Camp:
Program Fee $298
Food: 11 meals + snacks $135.25
Lodging (Choose the type of lodging you prefer)
- Private Lodging at Brickhaven Bed & Breakfast (5 rooms left) $413
(Brickhaven is next door to Menucha – actually surrounded on 3 sides by Menucha – and is within easy walking distance to everything. Register through Menucha, just as you would for one of our rooms.)
- Private Lodging at Menucha (designed for 1 person) This option is full.
- Semi Private (share with spouse or 2-3 roommates) $313
- Community Lodging (share with 3-4 roommates – bunk style) $213 - (expanded rooms this year)
Program Fee $298
Commuter Fee $100
Food: 3 lunches + 2 snacks $38.25
How to register with a spouse/partner: If you have a folk-music playing spouse/partner, please feel free to bring him/her along to join in the free time fun. Non-participating spouse fee is $325.
Here’s how you register together:
- If both of you are participating fully in the program, please register and pay separately-sign up as “semi-private lodging” and we’ll reserve a room just for you two.
- If your spouse/partner will not take part in the ukulele bands, he or she will only need to pay for food and housing. First register just yourself. Next, when you receive a confirmation email (which should arrive just minutes after you register), use the “nonparticipant” link to register your spouse/partner.
Other Helpful Links:
If you have any questions about accommodations at Menucha, please contact the office at 503-695-2243.